Kazushi Inoue, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Pathology - Tumor Biology
Education & Training
1. Kendig RD, Kai F, Fry EA, and Inoue K*. Stabilization of the p53-DNA complex by the nuclear protein Dmp1a. Cancer Invest, in press (2017).
2. Maglic D, Stovall DB, Cline JM, Fry EA, Mallakin A, Taneja P, Caudell DL, Willingham MC, Sui G, and Inoue K*. DMPβ, a splice isoform of the tumor suppressor DMP1 locus, induces proliferation and progression of breast cancer. J Pathol 2014 Dec 24. doi: 10.1002/path.4504. [Epub ahead of print].
3. Fry EA, Taneja P, Maglic D, Zhu S, Sui G, and Inoue K*. Dmp1 inhibits HER2/neu-induced mammary tumorigenesis. PLoS One 2013 8(10): e77870. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0077870.
4. Zhu S, Mott RT, Fry EA, Taneja, P, Kulik G, Sui G, and Inoue K*. Cooperation between cyclin D1 expression and Dmp1-loss in breast cancer. Am J Pathol 2013 Aug 11. pii: S0002-9440(13)00483-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2013.06.027.
5. Maglic D, Zhu S, Fry EA, Taneja P, Kai F, Kendig RD, Sugiyama T, Miller LD, Willingham MC, and Inoue K*. (2012) Prognostic value of the hDMP1-ARF-Hdm2-p53 pathway in breast cancer. Oncogene 2012 Oct 8. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.423. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Tang S, Mishra M, Frazier DP, Moore ML, Inoue K, Deora R, Sui G, Dubey P. Positive and negative regulation of prostate stem cell antigen expression by yin yang 1 in prostate epithelial cell lines. PLoS One, 2012;7(4):e35570. Epub 2012 Apr 19.
7. Frazier DP, Kendig RD, Kai F, Maglic D, Sugiyama T, Taneja P, Morgan RL, Fry EA, Lagedrost SJ, Sui G, and Inoue K*. Dmp1 physically interacts with p53 and positively regulates p53's stabilization, nuclear localization, and function. Cancer Res, 72: 1740-1750, 2012.
8. Taneja P, Maglic D, Kai F, Sugiyama T, Kendig RD, Frazier DP, Willingham MC, and Inoue K*. Critical role of Dmp1 in HER2/neu-p53 signaling and breast carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 70: 9084-9094, 2010.
9. Mallakin A, Sugiyama T, Kai F, Taneja P, Kendig RD, Frazier DP, Maglic D, Matise LA, Willingham MC, and Inoue K*. The Arf-inducing transcription factor Dmp1 encodes transcriptional activator of amphiregulin, thrombospondin-1, JunB and Egr1. Int J Cancer 126: 1403-1416, 2010.
10. Yogev O, Saadon K, Anzi S, Inoue K, and Shaulian E. DNA damage-dependent translocation of B23 and p19ARF is regulated by the JNK pathway. Cancer Res 68: 1398-1406, 2008.
11. Mallakin A, Sugiyama T, Taneja P, Matise LA, Frazier DP, Choudhary M, Hawkins GA, D'Agostino RB Jr, Willingham MC, and Inoue K*. Mutually exclusive inactivation of DMP1 and ARF/p53 in lung cancer. Cancer Cell 12: 381-394, 2007.
12. Taneja P, Mallakin A, Matise LA, Frazier DP, Choudhary M, and Inoue K*. Repression of Dmp1 and Arf promoter by anthracyclins: critical roles of the NF- B subunit p65. Oncogene 26: 7457-7466, 2007.
13. Venuprasad K, Elly C, Gao M., Ardakani SS, Harada Y, Luo JL, Yang C, Croft M, Inoue K, Karin M, and Liu YC. Convergence of Itch-induced ubiquitination with MEKK1-JNK signaling in Th2 tolerance and airway inflammation. J Clin Invest 116: 1117-1126, 2006.
14. Mallakin A, Taneja P, Matise, LA, Willingham MC, and Inoue K*. Expression of Dmp1 in specific differentiated, nonproliferating cells and its repression by E2Fs. Oncogene 25: 7703-7713, 2006.
15. Yogev O, Anzi S, Inoue K, and Shaulian E. Induction of cyclin D1 and inhibition of HU-induced senescence by c-Jun. J Biol Chem 281: 34475-34483, 2006.
1. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Aberrant expression of ARF in human cancer - a new biomarker? Tumor and Microenvironment, in press.
2. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Expression of p16INK4a in human cancer - a new biomarker? Cancer Reports and Reviews 2: 1-7, 2018. doi: 10.15761/CRR.1000145
3. Fry EA, Taneja P, and Inoue K*. Oncogenic and tumor-suppressive mouse models for breast cancer employing HER2/neu. Int J Cancer 140: 495-503, 2017.
4. Fry EA, Taneja P, and Inoue K*. Clinical applications of mouse models for breast cancer engaging HER2/neu. Integr Cancer Sci Ther 3: 593-603, 2016.
5. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Novel molecular markers for breast cancer. Biomark Cancer 8: 1-18, 2016.
6. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Aberrant splicing of the DMP1-INK4a/ARF-MDM2-p53 pathway in cancer. Int J Cancer 139: 33-41, 2016.
7. Inoue K*, Fry EA, and Frazier DP. Transcription factors that interact with p53 and Mdm2. Int J Cancer 138: 1577-1585, 2016.
8. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Aberrant splicing of estrogen receptor, HER2, and CD44 in breast cancer. Genetics & Epigenetics 7: 19-32, 2015.
9. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Aberrant expression of Cyclin D1 in cancer. Signal Transduction Insights 4: 1-13, 2015.
10. Inoue K*, Fry EA, and Taneja P. Recent progress in mouse models for tumor suppressor genes and its implications in human cancer. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology 7: 103-122, 2013.
11. Zhang Q, Stovall DB, Inoue K, and Sui G. The Oncogenic Role of Yin Yang 1. Crit Rev Oncog. 16(3-4): 163-197, 2011.
12. Taneja P, Zhu S, Maglic D, Fry EA, Kendig RD, and Inoue K*. Transgenic and knockout mice models to reveal the functions of tumor suppressor genes. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology 5: 235-257, 2011.
13. Taneja P, Maglic D, Kai F, Zhu S, Kendig RD, Fry EA, and Inoue K*. Classical and novel molecular prognostic markers for human breast cancer and their clinical significance. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology, 4: 15-34, 2010.
14. Taneja P, Frazier DP, Kendig RD, Maglic D, Sugiyama T, Kai F, Taneja NK, and Inoue K*. MMTV mouse models and the diagnostic values of MMTV-like sequences in human breast cancer. Expert Rev Mol Diagn 9: 423-440, 2009.
15. Sugiyama T, Frazier DP, Taneja P, Morgan RL, Willingham MC, and Inoue K*. The role of Dmp1 and its future in lung cancer diagnostics. Expert Rev Mol Diagn 8: 435-448, 2008.
16. Inoue K*, Sugiyama T, Taneja P, Morgan RL, and Frazier DP. Emerging roles of DMP1 in lung cancer. Cancer Res 68: 4487-4490, 2008.
17. Sugiyama T, Frazier DP, Taneja P, Kendig RD, Morgan RL, Matise LA, Lagedrost SJ, and Inoue K*. Signal transduction involving the Dmp1 transcription factor and its alteration in human cancer. Clinical Medicine: Oncology 2: 209-219, 2008.
18. Inoue K*, Mallakin A, and Frazier DP. Dmp1 and tumor suppression. Oncogene 26: 4329-4335, 2007.
Book Chapters & Others
1. Inoue K* and Fry EA. Haplo-insufficient tumor suppressor genes. A book chapter in ‘Advances in Medicine and Biology’, Nova Science Publishers, Inc. Volume 118, June 2017.
2. Inoue K*, Fry EA. (2014) Mutant p53 and MDM2 in cancer. Editors: Swati Palit Deb & Sumitra Deb. Springer. Chapter 2: Alterations of p63 and p73 in human cancers. p17-40.
3. Inoue K*, Fry EA, Maglic D, and Zhu S. Genetically engineered mouse models for human lung cancer in 'Oncogenesis, Inflammatory and Parasitic Tropical Diseases of the Lung'. Editor: Jean-Marie Kayembe. Intech, Croatia. Chapter 2: 29-60, 2013.
4. Taneja P, Kendig RD, Zhu S, Maglic D, Fry EA, and Inoue K*. Oncogenes and Tumor Suppressor Genes in Small Cell Lung Carcinoma in 'Lung Diseases'. Editor: Elvis Malcom Irusen. Intech, Croatia. Chapter 6: 147-170, 2012.
5. Taneja P, Frazier DP, Sugiyama T, Lagedrost SJ, and Inoue K*. Control of cellular physiology by transcription factors E2F and their roles in 'Carcinogenesis in Control of Cellular Physiology by E2F transcription factors'. Editor: Ken-ichi Yoshida. Research Signpost, Trivandrum, Kerala, India. Chapter 10: 179-197, 2008.
6. Inoue K*. Atlas of Genetics and Cytogenetics in Oncology and Haematology, DMTF1 (7q21). 2009. http://atlasgeneticsoncology.org/Genes/DMTF1ID40340ch7q21.html
* Corresponding author